Friday, March 8, 2013

Giving congratulations for a first solo.

When Manny surprised me by hopping out and sending me solo, he announced to all in the area that I would be going it alone. It was thrilling, but one of the nice things that I remember was the people in the circuit congratulating me over the radio (once I had confirmed I was back on terra firma safely).

To date, I hadn't been lucky enough to be in the circuit when someone made a similar announcement.  However, this morning had light winds and very little thermal activity due to two layers of high overcast.  Perfect for a first solo.

The student was just ahead of me while taxiing.  I saw them stop just short of the runway entry and the instructor got out.  After one final thumbs up from the instructor,  watched him enter the runway and take off.  I entered once he was clear and made sure I allowed him plenty of space in the circuit by extending downwind a little.  Once I heard him call clear of the active runway, I sent back a quick "Congratulations Victor Tango Kilo!"

I managed to catch it on video, so I thought I should share it!  

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment