Sunday, December 2, 2012

Twelve Apostles - Again!

 It took a couple of goes, but I finally made it to the 12 Apostles as pilot in command!  This actually happened some weeks ago, but I've been so busy of late that I never found a time to sit down and write this here!  Apologies - but, better late than never?

Since Brian took me down there back when I was initially studying navigation, I've been keen to return to fly it myself.  So, Shane and I booked a day to go in the Tecnam.  The conditions were ok at Ballarat, but persistent cloud along the coast made us a little nervous.  In the end, we decided to head towards there - if it was clear, great - if not, we'd explore another place.



Almost the 12 Apostles!
 We got as far as Lake Corangamite when we noticed a series of showers spaced evenly along the coast.  I probably could have split the middle, but I was worried about being stuck on the other side if they were to move or join together.  Not good.  So, plan B enacted - visit Lethbridge Airpark!  I made a turn to head East North East and towards clearer skies.

One cool thing that I always wanted to do was fly past the former RAAF base at Cressy.  There isn't much there now, but from the air I read that you can still make out the alignment of the runways and aprons.  Not long after we had established on our new track I looked down to see what looked like runways.  A moment later it struck me that I was actually looking at the old aerodrome!

Cressy Airfield during WWII. (Source: http://home.st.net.au/~dunn/airfields/cressy.htm)
Cressy today.


Happy in our discovery, we continued to Lethbridge.  When we landed it was pretty quiet (being a weekday), but we had a stroll around chatted to Jodie from All Axis Aviation while enjoying a cold soft drink.  They always make us feel welcome down there.  A lovely place to visit.

After our leg stretch, I pointed the Tecnam back towards Ballarat.  On the way, there was some pesky little squalls that I kept my eye on - but we managed to get home without any hassle. 

Heading home from Lethbridge - keeping away from the rain!

It was still a great day, and neither Shane nor I were upset we didn't make it all the way to the coast.  "A days' flying to an unplanned place is better than no flying at all!", says Shane as we were putting away the Tecnam. 

A few weeks later, an amazing thing happened - the weather was shaping up to be beautiful, AND we had a day off work!  A quick text from Shane revealed that he was keen. The only unknown was the aircraft availability.  I check the online booking system for the Tecnam.... Bugger! Away for maintenance all that day.  Hmmm, I think it was time to have a fly in the Jabiru once again!

I phoned Manny to see if the Jabiru was available.  He told me that the aircraft was available and took my booking.  We had it from the morning until after lunch.  Plenty of time to play.  Manny also reminded me not to get complacent with landings now that I've been flying the Tecnam for a while.  "Don't forget to maintain complete control of your speed and descent rate until you're right on the ground.  The Tecnam is much less of a handful to land."  I assured him I'd keep my wits about me.

The day rolled around clear and sunny.  I arrived at the hangar early and immediately set about completing the daily pre-flight inspection.  Shane was coming from Melbourne, and got held up in traffic. I decided to take the opportunity to do a circuit by myself, and clear out the cobwebs in my Jabiru flying.  Thankfully, I managed to put it down smoothly.  It was almost like putting on a comfortable old pair of shoes.  Everything fell under my fingers just as if I had been flying it every week.

Shane arrived soon after I got back.  The aircraft was still warm from the circuit, so in no time we were over at the run-up bay and taxiing to the runway.
Our route.  We flew it clockwise.
 

Climbing out of Ballarat Aerodrome.

Departing overhead.

A great view of the original hangars and buildings at the aerodrome.


Climbing to cruise level.

One little cloud passes us by while we cruise towards Colac.



Lake Corangamite.


Lavers Hill.  Not far from the coast now!





Descending from cruise height to the prescribed 12 Apostles height.




The inlet at Princetown.  The Apostles in the background.
We dropped down to the prescribed height of 1000 feet to head West along the coast.  I switched to the local frequency and broadcast our intentions.  Only two scenic flight helicopters could be heard on the special CTAF for this area.  That was a good sign - it can get very busy along here at times!


Turning to head West.








There they are!  The famous Apostles!



 I made sure I kept the heli pilots updated as to where we were, and I listened carefully to their calls.  One we heard but never saw because they were behind us and heading the opposite direction, but the other came upon us near the Bay of Islands.  We established that we both had visual confirmation of each others positions and we safely passed each other with several hundred feet height difference.

The Bay of Islands.


Turning towards home.


Looking back along where we had just come. Beautiful!

Looking towards Warrnambool.


A nice little private airstrip.



Ballarat.  Nearly home!

Passing Lake Burrumbeet on the approach to Ballarat's circuit.
My landing this time around was not quite as smooth as the solo one (figures!), but it was comfortable.  I think Manny would be happy.

Back on the ground.

We exited the runway and made our way back to the hangar.  We were all smiles as we pushed the Jabiru back into through the open doors.  Only one way to celebrate this kind of trip on a warm day - a nice iced coffee! 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this interesting trip report, coincidentally I have planned the same trip except departing from Lethbridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Graham! Glad you enjoyed it. Let me know how your trip goes!

      Delete
  2. Hi Evan, I finally,managed to fly the Great Ocean Road. Pictures and vid here (although pretty similar to yours)

    http://grahamlambflying.weebly.com/great-ocean-road-flight.html

    ReplyDelete