Monday, September 10, 2012

Back in Tecnam-Land - The Lowlands!

Yesterday and today, I undertook a qualification process to fly the local Aero Club's shiny and relatively new Tecnam P2002 Sierra.  Yes, I'd flown a Tecnam before - so I thought this process would be fairly straight-forward.  I was wrong.

Lately, the Jabiru at my flying school has been more and more tricky to secure a booking.  I tend to leave the flying school days and choose others, but even that has its own difficulties.  Sometimes the engine is up for a service, but it is not certain which day the maintenance engineer will be able to get to it - so I have to wait.  It's not that they are trying to make it difficult - it's just the reality of a small single-aircraft flying school.

I absolutely still love flying the J-160 and hanging out at Inbound is fun, but now that I'm in a different phase of my flying adventure, I began looking for other options. Talking to an aircraft owner that stores his plane in the same hangar revealed that the Aero Club's nice new P2002 isn't getting as much time as they'd like.  I was under the impression that every man and his dog was clamouring to get into it, and slots to fly were few and far between.  Hmm, if there's a plane in need of some loving I'm more than happy to spread my aviation love!  I promptly strolled over to the club rooms and joined.  Next step was to book an instructor and get signed off.

The new beast.
For those who have been playing along at home for a while, you'll know that I'm not entirely new to the Tecnam brand.  A few of you might remember a year ago when I headed down to Lethbridge and flew the P92E down there.  I found that conversion fairly straightforward.  There were a lot of things on that aircraft that were easier than the Jabiru.  So in my mind's eye I was thinking that the two Tecnams will be fairly similar.  I was mentally prepared for the P2002 to be different to the Jabiru.  What struck me was how different it was to the P92!

Firstly, the powerful engine and the vertical fin is set in such a way that there is little or no rudder required in cruise flight.  This equates to requiring buckets of right rudder for takeoff and climb-out.  Also, the aircraft floats quite a lot during the hold-off - especially if you are carrying a little extra speed or you don't actually fully pull the throttle to idle over the threshold (learned that one the hard way - floated for what felt like half the runway!).  Also, if you don't watch the pitch like a hawk it will gain 200 or so feet even if you're just glancing down to check a switch or something!  Finally, it is fast.  Maybe not Cirrus fast, but seems fast to me!  Slowing the aircraft down from 110 kts to under the flap extension 66 knots takes quite some effort.

One wonderful difference to the high wing aircraft is the view!  It's incredible.  Even though I didn't need to, I still found myself doing a little 'wing waggle' before each turn (i.e. used in high wing aircraft to make sure there's no traffic being obscured by the wings).  Old habits die hard!  I also loved the idea of sliding the canopy shut and being able to taxi around with it slightly open to get a nice breeze.  I feel like a fighter pilot!

The cockpit area.
We went through the pre-flight and start-up procedures, then after a run-up, taxied over to the runway.  With temps and pressures in the green, I opened the throttle and hurtled forwards. I raised the nose and it lifted off in no time.  "Right rudder.....right rudder...more...more...there you go!" my instructor said as we climbed out.  Gee they aren't joking - it really needs heaps of right rudder!  I was also surprised at how quickly the aircraft accelerates to the maximum flap extension speed on climb.  You have to raise the nose and get those flaps up fairly soon to allow it to accelerate to a comfortable climb speed of 80 knots.

We departed the circuit and headed out to the training area.  The broken clouds were hanging around at about 3500 feet above sea level which meant that stalls and upper airwork were off the cards.  The plan was to do some turns and get a feel for a forced landing without power.  At this stage I was a little flustered.  I've heard pilots refer to 'hanging off the tail' when moving up to a faster aircraft - I wasn't even there - I was still in the circuit coming to terms with all the differences!  The throttle was pulled and I selected a field.  Went through instant actions and one or two more checklist items when my brain just went blank.  I totally forgot the next few items on the emergency to-do list!

I still would have made it into some kind of paddock, but there was no clear plan or steps to get where I chose.  We levelled off at 500 feet agl and climbed out.  I was quite embarrassed.  My instructor assured me that it's ok and we could come back and do another tomorrow after you have some time to process all of the new stuff.  I was also getting bounced around by the thermals - which added to my own frustration.

It was time to head back to the aerodrome and do some circuits.  I pointed the nose back towards home and realised that we'd be there in no time with this fast plane and a nice tail wind to help, too!  My first circuit was to be a normal circuit with full flap.  Getting used to slowing the aircraft down on late downwind was hard.  In the Jab, I can do it during the turn to base.  Not so in this beasty.

I levelled off initially a little high over the runway and then tried to finesse it to the ground.  I didn't have to - this thing will land itself in her own time as long as you hold the correct landing attitude.  The second approach was a slight improvement on the first.  On the third and final for the day, was a flapless.  I carried too much extra speed and ended up floating a looooong way down the runway.  Luckily it is a long runway here in Ballarat, so there was no need for a go-around that time.

We shut down and discussed the session's events.  My instructor told me that all the basics are there, but after a good night's rest and some review of my emergency procedure notes - I should be on top of it tomorrow.

Well, she was right.  I re-read my notes and got a good night's sleep.  The next morning, I did the pre-flight myself and prepared the aircraft.  This time it was a lot slicker.  I controlled my speed on takeoff much better.  My straight and level was much more stable.  We once again headed out to the training area and I went through an entire practice forced landing.  This time not forgetting anything.  She was happy with my choice and the procedures so we turned for home and completed some circuits.  These three circuits were much tighter and less wandering around.

What I realised during the night before was that I was doing far too much on landing.  All I need to do is positively set it up and then be patient.  I had to get the Jabiru out of my head.  After I realised that, the landings were great.  We completed three circuits (with one simulated engine failure after takeoff) and it wasn't long before my instructor said, "Well, that's all good.  Make this a full stop and I'll get out."

I let her out at the clubrooms and taxied back to the runway.  Wow!  If I thought this thing climbs well with two people on board - one is insane!  I was almost at circuit height and I hadn't even reached my normal spot for turning crosswind!  I also found that reducing the throttle a little on downwind helps to keep the altitude a little more stable and also it is less of a beast to wrangle the speed from later in the leg.


I completed three solo circuits - two nice landings and one that was the softest I'd ever managed at Ballarat!  Of course, there was no one there to see it!  After taxiing back and shutting down, we discussed the session and how it all went.  My instructor seemed much happier with my efforts today.  I was actually 'in' the aircraft today - maybe sitting on the tail, but definitely closer to my brain being ahead of the aircraft.

Taxiing back to the club.  Three solo circuits under my belt.

The club encourages its members to take the aircraft for trips.  Hopefully, after a few local flights to get more acquainted with the aircraft, I can look at going a little further afield. I also now have a choice of two aircraft that I can rent.  Maybe a flyaway weekend trip with Mel could be on the cards?

No comments:

Post a Comment