Wednesday, July 4, 2012

$100 Hamburger....Ararat-Style!


While this was not at Tooradin, it was certainly much fun.

I'd hatched this plan in the weeks leading up to my cross country endorsement test.  I figured that Ararat would be somewhere far enough to feel like we've achieved something, but not so far that it will take heaps of planning and preparation (and more to potentially go wrong, like changeable winter weather).  I mentioned this to my friend Shane, who jumped at the chance to come along for the ride. It's the same Shane from August last year's post: "Flying, Great Coffee and Perfect Lemon Tart".  We had also booked last Saturday as a potential day, but a three hundred foot AGL overcast put paid to that!

Today's weather was much more promising, with light Southerly winds and broken clouds at about 3400'.  Plenty of room underneath for us to play in.  I readied the aircraft, checked and double-checked my plan (no one looking over my shoulder now!), then as Shane arrived he basically stepped out of his car and in to the aircraft.  Now that's service!



We made our way over to the run-up bay and made sure it was completely warmed up before proceeding to the runway.  I needn't have bothered, because when we got to the intersection of the runways there was already a Warrior waiting - and three aircraft on base or final.  I said to Shane, "This is probably what you'd be used to in Moorabbin!"  He laughed.  It ended up being about eleven minutes before we got our break in the traffic to go.  The Warrior got bored with it and departed from the intersection.  I was not that bold (remembering the old adage "The most useless thing in aviation is runway behind you"), however before long there was a suitable break for us to taxi to the threshold and take off. 

As we climbed out of crosswind and set course for Ararat, we looked back to the airfield.  The saying "bees buzzing around a beehive was certainly true today!"  I think a lot of people looked at today's weather and thought to themselves that a fly would be a good thing!  This is especially true after the run of average weather we've been having.

The base of the broken clouds seemed to be 3300' or 3400' AMSL, so I levelled out and cruised at 3000'.  Contrast on the ground between the brightly sunlit areas and the shadowed areas was amazing to see.  It was not long before I could make out the Mount Langi Ghiran, Mount Ararat and The Grampians. 

I set up for an overhead arrival so we could look at the windsock.  It was almost limp, but was still facing South-East.  I figured that I'd be able to deal with the crosswind on runway 12, and would not have to worry about the intersection between gravel and asphalt.  The approach was unusually quite smooth (for Ararat!).  I touched down the into-wind wheel but before I could lower the rest of the wheels a gust came up and lifted us into the air again.  I let out an unintentional unimpressed growl, but it was not a large balloon and we settled back on to the runway with no more fuss.

I turned the aircraft around, and we taxied to the apron.  It was a quiet place today.  No movement at all!  Everything shut up.  I manoeuvred the Jabiru over to the edge where we shut down and manually moved the tail so it was hanging out over the grass.  Making sure the parking brake was set and the doors were locked, we leisurely made our way to the truck stop service station about 500 metres down the road.
Not much going on today!
Park brake set.  Time for food!
We made it!


Our culinary destination.
The most expensive burger I've ever had.  Shane is already tucking into the chips!


The burger was tasty and freshly made, but if I was to give it an adjective it would be simply 'rustic'.  It certainly wasn't much to look at, but the taste made up for it.  Shane pointed out that any food that you've flown to get automatically tastes better.  He told me about a trip into the centre of NSW with Royal Vic Aero Club, where even "cardboard take-away instant coffee tasted amazing because we'd been flying all day".  I'd agree.

Strolling back to the aerodrome.  I should try gliding.  Apparently it's fun!
With our bellies full, we climbed back into the Jabiru and fired it up again.  The wind sock hadn't moved since we'd left, so I headed out to runway 12.  After a slight pause to ensure temps were back up to where they should be, we blasted off again back to Ballarat.  We hadn't seen, nor heard a soul here today, but I ensured I did all of my radio calls in full regardless.

The trip back was great.  There was a little bit of turbulence as we passed the Ararat Renewable Energy Park, but apart from that it was mostly hands-off flying.  I still used accurate ded-rekoning, but it was nice to have a quick look down at the GPS to double check that we were on course and on schedule.  We were two minutes early at our half way check point Beaufort, so I subtracted three minutes from our expected time at Ballarat.

All smiles, heading home.


The view of the Pyrenees as we made our way back to Ballarat.
We looked down and could see the cars and trucks making their way along the Western Highway.  It struck me then that I now have a choice of a new mode of transport for getting places - and it's awesome.  Even at the 91 knots we were getting as ground speed.  It equates to about 160 km/h.  Much better than the 100 or 110 km/h that Earth-bound road users can abide by.

It wasn't long before I tuned in Ballarat's CTAF once again.  We both expected to hear a flurry of activity like before, but were greeted with almost complete silence.  The only aircraft moving was 3299, the Aero Club's bright yellow Gazelle vacating all runways.  When I gave my joining call, we were greeted back by the AFRU lady's voice.  The Automated Frequency Response Unit (AFRU) is a recorded voice that reads "Ballarat Aerodrome" back to you after you transmit something on the frequency when there has been a few minutes of silence.  It's to confirm to pilots when it is quiet that they do in fact have the correct frequency programmed into the radio.  We were surprised, because conditions were still great for flying!

After an almost Manny-like crosswind landing (if I do say so myself!) on runway 18, taxied back to the hangar and shut down. 1.6 hours of flying and a full belly.  Totally worth it.

What's next on the agenda?  I don't know.  I do know that I'd still like to get to Tooradin and do it at an on-airfield restaurant.  Maybe some more scenic flights to the 12 Apostles could be on the cards?  Anyone up for that?  I certainly am.